Hardship Leave Process & Forms

Request Hardship Leave

Complete the appropriate form and submit it to Human Resource:

Donate Leave:

To donate vacation and/or compensatory hours for another employee to use as hardship leave:

  • Complete the Authorization for Transfer of Leave form with signature and date.
  • Submit the completed authorization form to your departmental payroll administrator who will forward it to Human Resources.

Eligibility and Process

Human Resources determines eligibility based on collective bargaining agreements (CBA). Refer to the Hardship Leaves page for CBA references and links. Once eligibility is established, HR:

  • Notifies the designated union representative that an employee is eligible to receive donations.
  • Credits donated hours to the eligible recipient at their current regular hourly rate of pay and makes proper adjustments to both recipient’s and donor’s leave balances.
  • Notifies the eligible recipient’s departmental payroll administrator of the donated sick leave hours credited to their balance so that hours can be processed in the payroll system.

Ineligible employees will be contacted by the Medical Leaves Coordinator regarding their request for hardship leave.

If you have questions, please contact HRLeaves@uoregon.edu or 541-346-3085. Forms are available online.