Provide an effective onboarding and orientation experience.
Effectively orienting and onboarding new employees to the campus, your department/unit, and to their position is critical to establishing successful, productive working relationships.
- Create and implement a plan for effectively onboarding and orienting new team members.
Refer to the Orientation & Onboarding Guide for Supervisors for more information.
- Establish open lines of communications to lay a strong foundation for asking questions, learning on-the-job, and giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Review standards and expectations so the employee knows what is expected.
- Foster positive working relationships between the new employee and team members.
- Check-in with the new employee frequently throughout their first 90 days to demonstrate support, identify concerns, and make adjustments as needed so that you both have a positive experience and establish an effective working relationship.
- Orientation & Onboarding Guide for Supervisors
- Keep employees who are just starting out excited about their new job [Gallup article, login required]
- Why the Onboarding Experience is Key for Retention [Gallup article, login required]
- Engaging employees with workplace culture [LinkedIn Learning video, 3m 33s]