Promote continuous learning and growth.
Taking time to prioritize learning and growth makes employees feel valued and that their contributions matter. Helping them navigate professional growth and encouraging them to learn new skills demonstrates investment. Employees need a manager who encourages their development.
- NEW Be a coach, not just a supervisor.
- Become a Great Coach and Leader [LinkedIn Course, 53m]
- How Managers Can Excel by Really Coaching Their Employees [Gallup article, login required]
- NEW Create professional development plans for your department/team and customized plans for each team member.
- These plans are integral to the success of the department
- They should be closely linked to department goals and have weight in team members’ performance appraisals.
- Learn more about the importance of development plans through Academic Impressions [login required]
- Use a template to get started [Academic Impressions, login required]
Remember that high performing team members need development opportunities, as well, so they can continue to develop and enhance new skills.
NEW 10 Ways to Support Employee Career Growth
Encourage and assist team members with making time to focus on professional development activities.
NEW How to Encourage Employees to Pursue Professional Development
- NEW Set goals in collaboration with your employees to inform development and drive growth.
- The Quick and Easy Guide to Effective Employee Goal Setting
- Setting Team and Employee Goals Using SMART Methodology [LinkedIn Learning course, 55m]
- NEW Professional Development: What Really Matters to Faculty and Staff [Webinar recording, Academic Impressions, login required]
- NEW What High-Performance Workplaces Do Differently [Gallup article, login required]
- Navigating Learning and Development Opportunities at UO [UO E-Learning, 30m]
- Online and Self-Guided Learning Library