Temporary employees may be hired into Temporary Classified or Temporary Non-regular positions. All temporary appointments go through a formal review and approval process through Human Resources.
A justification and description of job responsibilities must be included on the Request to Hire Temporary Employee form. If you are unsure of the classification for the temporary position, contact email@example.com for assistance in determining an appropriate classification.
Temporary Classified and Temporary Non-regular appointments are normally paid on an hourly basis. In rare instances, a lump sum payment may be approved (typically for a 1 day event or performance).
For more information on conditions of appointment for temporary employees, please see the Temporary Employment Memo.
Temporary classified employees may be hired on campus to fill emergency, non-recurring, short-term work, including leave replacement or other short-term assignments. The total hours for all such temporary work may not exceed 1040 hours in a twelve month period.
Temporary classified employees are appointed into an SEIU classification and paid the hourly equivalent of one of the steps within the pay range.
If the work to be performed does not fit into an existing SEIU classification, the non-regular designation may be used and an appropriate hourly rate established. Temporary Non-regular appointments are not subject to the 1040 hour limit.
Selecting Candidates for Temporary Work
Temporary appointments may be filled by direct appointment; a formal search is not required. Hiring units may wish to consider former employees or former student workers for temporary employment.
Retirees receiving PERS benefits may work for an employer participating in PERS, within certain limitations, and still maintain their retirement benefits. Retirees considering accepting temporary work should carefully review the “Work after Retirement” restrictions for retirees returning to work on the PERS website at: http://www.oregon.gov/pers/RET/Pages/Work-After-Retirement.aspx.
The University also allows units or departments to obtain temporary help through employment agencies. For more information, visit Temporary Employment Agency Guidelines.
- Hiring unit completes the Request to Hire Temporary Employee form online, then prints and routes for signatures.
- The form must include a clear justification stating why the position is needed, along with a description of duties and responsibilities.
- The form should be submitted in advance, once the hiring unit is aware of the need for the position, in order to expedite processing.
- It is not necessary to list an incumbent on the RTH form, if one has not yet been selected.
- The form requires appropriate unit level approval. It is up to each unit to ensure the form is signed by an individual with appropriate budget/HR authority for that unit.
- Forward the completed, signed form to Human Resources in hard copy.
- HR reviews the form for compliance with employment rules.
- Once approved, HR notifies the submitter via email.
- After approval of the form and once a candidate has been identified and accepted a contingent offer, the hiring unit initiates the background check and provides the Temporary Hire Payroll Packet to the employee, including the Temporary Employment Memo.
- The employee completes and returns the new hire packet to the hiring unit.
- The hiring unit verifies the I-9, and submits the new hire packet with signed temporary employment memo to Human Resources.
- Upon receipt of the new hire packet, HR reviews, approves, and forwards to Payroll with the approved form.
- Payroll enters the job in Banner, in the order received. This may take a few weeks.
- The hiring process for temporary employees may take a few weeks. To request an ID number be created immediately for your new temporary hire, email a copy of the EIF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payroll will use the information from the EIF to enter the fields needed to create an ID number. The original EIF must still be submitted with the new hire packet for final processing, at which time Payroll will enter the job record in Banner.