Limited Duration appointments are outlined in Article 36 of the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement:
Persons may be hired either:
(1) for special studies, projects, or purposes of uncertain or limited duration which are funded by grants, contracts, awards, student fees, or legislative funding for a specific project OR
(2) to replace a regular employee on leave of absence when it is known at the time of hire that the leave of absence will last for at least six (6) months.
Limited duration is a type of classified employee, and classified employees are recruited for via our talent management system, MyTrack.
Key items to note:
- Limited duration appointments cannot exceed two years.
- Limited duration appointments can expire earlier upon the earlier termination of the special study, project, or purposes of leave.
- All of the rights and privileges of other classified employees are granted with one exception: those not formerly classified OUS employees are not entitled to layoff rights.
- Appointments of at least half-time are eligible for vacation, sick leave, personal leave, employee-paid health and dental insurance, staff rates, and retirement contributions if the appointment is expected to last at least 90 days.
- At the point of hire, the limited duration appointment memo must be completed, signed by the employee and forwarded to Human Resources to be included in the new employee packet.