In light of upcoming elections, the Office of Human Resources sends a friendly reminder regarding election activity in the workplace.
Oregon law prohibits the use of public funds, equipment, and supplies to advocate for or against a ballot measure or candidate and restricts what public employees (which include University of Oregon employees) may do in support of or opposition to a ballot measure or candidate.
Public employees on their work time may NOT:
- collect funds, distribute campaign materials, or prepare correspondence on behalf of a political committee, ballot measure, or candidate;
- produce, copy, or distribute documents that advocate for or against a ballot measure or a candidate;
- post website information, transmit emails, or make a presentation that advocates for or against a ballot measure or candidate;
- make outgoing calls to schedule or organize campaign events or other activity that advocates for or against a ballot measure or candidate;
- encourage others to volunteer for a partisan political committee or efforts related to a candidate or ballot measure;
- place posters that advocate for or against a ballot measure or candidate in a public work space or facing out on doors or windows;
- distribute flyers that advocate for or against a ballot measure or candidate.
Public employees MAY:
- engage in non-partisan activities that promote political participation, such as voter registration drives;
- express their views on issues facing our community that are not on the ballot;
- use personal time, lunch hours, breaks, and days off for partisan political activity;
- express personal political views;
- wear campaign buttons at work;
- provide balanced, objective information on ballot measures;
- impartially advise other public employees about possible effects of a ballot measure;
- use personal time and personal equipment to write letters in their personal capacity expressing an opinion on a ballot measure or candidate.
Refer to university policy is available on the Political Activities Notice webpage in the HR website. For further clarification or questions, please contact HR at 541-346-3159.