Professional Development Opportunity Fund Policy

(Formerly Employee Benefit Fund)

The Professional Development Opportunity Fund (PDOF) provides financial assistance for staff development opportunities beyond what departments can afford.  An employee may apply for reimbursement from this fund of up to $200 per fiscal year for training and development activities as described in the guidelines below.  Employees must be at least half-time to access the fund.  Professional development supported by this fund must be work related and benefit both the employee and the University. 


The fund shall be used for:

  1. Seminars, workshops, continuing education units (CEU's) offered by professional organizations, or other work-related professional development courses.  Such training must benefit both the employee and the University.
    1. Maximum subsidy:  half the registration costs, not to exceed $100. 
    2. Employees may apply once per term.
  1. Work-related professional development credit courses at the UO, Lane Community College, or community education courses
    1. Maximum subsidy:
  • UO:  half of employee tuition waiver amount (See Staff Tuition Benefit)
  • Lane Community College:  half of university credit hour rate up to four credit hours
  • Non-admitted, community education courses:  half the registration fee up to $50 per person per term
  1. Travel per diem (transportation, meals, and lodging) reimbursement for each approved professional development course.
    1. Half of the total amount, not to exceed $100 for each approved training session.
    2. All training must be approved in accordance with university travel procedures before any trip is taken for which reimbursement is sought.

Funding will NOT be available for:

  1. Conferences, conventions, or schedule meetings arranged by a professional organization for its own membership, whether or not the applicant is a member.
  2. Training mandated by outside agencies or contracts.
  3. Books for classes.

See Request Form or call (541) 346-3159 for further information or to request a form in campus mail.