Parental Leave FAQ: Represented and Unrepresented Faculty

What is parental leave?

UO’s parental leave policy guarantees up to 12 weeks of compensated leave to eligible career NTTF, tenure-track, and tenured faculty members following the birth or adoption of a child. 

Who is eligible?

Career NTTF, tenure-track, and tenured faculty members who qualify for and take FMLA and/or OFLA leave are eligible for compensated parental leave.  

Faculty members who are not eligible for compensation under the parental leave policy may still be eligible for compensated leave, for leave taken under FMLA and/or OFLA, in some circumstances.

The Office of Human Resources will determine eligibility for FMLA and/or OFLA, parental leave, and any compensated leave that may be available under other policies. Please contact Kenny Ly, Medical Leaves Coordinator, at or 541-346-2950 with questions.

When does eligibility for parental leave begin?

Eligibility begins right after the birth or adoption of a child and ends one year after the birth or adoption.

My spouse/partner also works for UO; are we both eligible for parental leave?

Yes. If both parents are employees of the university and meet the eligibility requirements, then both parents are entitled to take parental leave and course release, as applicable.

An employee who qualifies for and takes parental leave under FMLA and/or OFLA, and is enrolled in short-term disability, can elect to file a claim directly with the UO’s short-term disability provider, The Standard Insurance.

The Standard Insurance generally will pay 5 weeks for a normal birth or 7 weeks for a complicated delivery, after a 7-day waiting period. If the pregnancy occurred prior to the enrollment of short-term disability, it will be considered a pre-existing condition and The Standard Insurance will pay 4 weeks, after a 7-day waiting period. Please contact Kathryn Daniel, Sr. Benefits Coordinator, at or 541-346-2964 with questions.

Who is eligible for course release?

A career NTTF, tenure-track, or tenured faculty member who is eligible for FMLA and/or OFLA leave has the option to take partial or full course release for up to one term with full pay status.

The Office of Human Resources will determine eligibility for course release. Please contact Kenny Ly, Medical Leaves Coordinator, at or 541-346-2950 with questions.

What does course release mean?  

Course release is defined as a full or partial release from teaching responsibilities for tenure-related faculty members and a one-course reduction for eligible instructors, with full pay status. During this time, the eligible faculty member will continue to conduct scholarly work, student advising, research, and other professional responsibilities, including departmental and university service as applicable to his or her position description. 

Any release from or reduction of teaching responsibilities pursuant to this policy does not mean that the faculty member will be required to carry more than a normal load before or after the leave.

How do I request course release?

Once HR confirms your eligibility, you must contact your supervisor to arrange implementation of a course release as soon as possible. The dean or unit head may contact Yvonne Braun,, associate vp, Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs for assistance, if needed.     

Can I take course release in the middle of the term?

No. The course release must begin at the start of a term.

If the birth or adoption occurs mid-term, you may use accrued leave for the remainder of the term and your time off would be protected under FMLA and/or OFLA. For example, if the baby is born on February 14 (in the middle of winter term), you may use accrued leave for the remainder of winter term and take course release in spring term.

Can I request other workplace accommodations in lieu of, or in addition to, course release?

A qualified individual with a pregnancy related or non-pregnancy related disability is entitled to reasonable workplace accommodations that are necessary to overcome disability-related limitations that impact their ability to effectively perform the functions of their job.

Workplace accommodations come in many forms. For example, some employees require ergonomic furniture or modifications to their workspace in order to overcome limitations impacting their ability to sit or concentrate. Other employees require a flexible work schedule in order to attend medical appointments or an extended leave of absence to seek medical treatment. Requests for accommodation are assessed by the ADA Coordinator in Human Resources on a case-by-case basis. For more information about the university’s accommodation process email Martin Stanberry at

Can I stop the tenure review clock as a result of birth or adoption of a child?

Yes. The tenure review clock may be stopped, at the faculty member’s discretion, for one year upon the birth or adoption of a child. Faculty members are advised to make any such request as soon as possible and prior to taking parental leave.  Review tenure clock considerations on the Office of the Provost website.

Who should I contact for more information?

Please contact Kenny Ly, Medical Leaves Coordinator, at or 541-346-2950 with questions.