Upon retirement, faculty members who have held the highest rank in their category (Example: Professor, Senior Instructor II, Research Professor) for five or more years are automatically eligible for emeritus status under Policy number 02.02.10, Faculty: Rights and Privileges of Emeritus Faculty. To effect that status the department should prepare an Unpaid Appointment Form (see UAF below) using position BUOXEM, leave the job "End Date" blank, and send the completed form to the Office of the Provost.
In some instances, at retirement, an individual who does not automatically qualify for emeritus status may be nominated for such status by the department head or dean. Nominations are normally made not more than six weeks before the faculty member’s retirement date. Please review Policy number 02.02.10, Faculty: Rights and Privileges of Emeritus Faculty for further information about awarding emeritus/emerita status to faculty.
In order to nominate an individual:
- The department completes the electronic Unpaid Appointment Form putting both the Department Head and the Dean as approvers, attaches the curriculum vita, and attaches a nomination letter from the department head to the dean to the unpaid appointment form requesting the emeritus or emerita status.
- The dean then attaches a letter of support to the electronic UAF and request or simply Edits the UAF and adds a Remark/Purpose that they "approve the nomination of the faculty member to emeritus/a status." puts their initials and then and saves the form.
- The dean then approves the form which will automatically be forward to Human Resources.
- After Human Resources completes their review they will forward the electronic UAF request to the Office of the Provost for review and approval.
- If approved, OtP will issue a letter awarding the status to the faculty member and Human Resources will send the approved UAF to the Payroll office.
- Unpaid Appointment Form (UAF)