OA/Research Vacation Maximum
Full-time officers of administration and research with 12-month appointments earn 15 hours of vacation each month and can accrue up to a maximum of 260 hours of vacation. No vacation is earned beyond that amount, so it is important to understand how vacation accrual information is reflected on the monthly earnings statement to ensure that vacation is not lost. Under OUS policy, once vacation is lost, it is not possible to restore it at a later date.
The Banner HRIS system accrues leave at the end of the month in which it is earned. Usage, however, is reflected on the earnings statement one month later. For example, the August 31 earnings statement would show 15 hours earned for August and any vacation time taken in July.
- 260 hours vacation balance on July 31 earnings statement
- 20 hours taken in July, entered into payroll system in August
+15 hours accrued in August
255 hours vacation balance on August 31 earnings statement
- Example of how vacation can be lost:
260 hours vacation balance on July 31 earnings statement
- 00 hours taken in July, so none entered into payroll system in August
+00 hours accrued in August because accrual is already at maximum on July 31
260 hours vacation balance on August 31 earnings statement
- 40 hours taken in August, entered into payroll system in September
+15 hours accrual for September
235 hours vacation balance on September 30 earnings statement
In the second example, an employee in reviewing the July 31 earnings statement may assume that he or she will not lose vacation because of planned 40 hours off in August. However, because usage is reported one month after accrual, the employee reached the maximum on July 31 and, as a result, will not receive the August accrual of 15 hours. The time off in August will not be reported until September.
- Officers of administration and research should pay close attention to their balances when they have accruals of over 230 hours and make plans to use vacation hours in the next month before it is too late and vacation is irrevocably lost.
- It is also important to note that the maximum amount of vacation paid upon termination is 180 hours.
For more information, please contact Mary Beth Allen, 346-6296.