Yes, we need to do more…daily physical activity.
Oregonians are too sedentary. Only half of us meet the minimum recommendation of 30 minutes of physical activity each day and our health is at risk. Being physically active every day is an important goal for all of us to achieve.
How much physical activity do I need?
• 30 minutes each day for overall health and to decrease risk for diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes
• 60 minutes each day for managing body weight and preventing weight gain
• 60 - 90 minutes each day for sustaining weight loss
How do I fit this much physical activity into my day?
Some people set aside time to work out at fitness centers, take classes or go on hikes or bike rides with friends and family. Others find ways to fit physical activity into their daily routines like:
• Walking or biking to the bus stop or all the way to work
• Walking at lunch time
• Holding walking meetings
• Walking or biking to run errands, go to the library, park, or visiting friends
• Walking the dog
Resources for walking: